Bootsy Collins to headline funk festival at Hampton Coliseum

Bootsy Collins to headline funk festival at Hampton Coliseum

by Sam McDonal, dailypress.com
December 10th 2012

Bootsy Collins will lead a funky charge into Hampton Coliseum next year.

As has been the standard operating procedure recently, Hampton Coliseum made the announcement on its Facebook page: The great Bootsy Collins will headline the 2013 Hampton Funk Fest.

The event, set to take place Friday, Feb. 1, at Hampton Coliseum, will also feature Zapp, Rose Royce, Con Funk Shun and Lenny Williams.

Tickets go on sale 10 a.m. Friday, Dec. 14.

What's the famously funky bass man been up to lately? Last year, he released "Tha Funk Capital of the World," an album that included guest shots from Buckethead, Musiq Soulchild, Ice Cube, Bobby Womack and Samuel L. Jackson, among others.

The disc also featured a tribute to the late, great James Brown, who helped to introduce Bootsy to the world by hiring him for his ground-breaking band.

"What's funny about that is, I was a guitar player before I joined Mr. Brown's band, and I wanted to play bass like Jimi Hendrix," he said in an interview posted on his official website. "Eventually, that's exactly what I did, adding effects and freeing up the instrument to go anywhere I imagined it could go, and that's how Bootsy became Bootsy. But Mr. Brown wanted me to just keep it simple and keep on hitting that 'one.' I used to grumble about it, but today I'm thankful."

Read my review of last year's Hampton Funk Festival -- which featured George Clinton and Chuck Brown among others -- here.

Original Page: http://pocket.co/spao9

Shared from Pocket



Sent from my iPad

Comments